WHCNorth Mobile App

Friday, March 1, 2013

Gleaning Handfuls of Favor


Ruth 2: 1 - 3, There was a relative of Naomi's husband, a man of great wealth, of the family of Elimelech. His name was Boaz. So Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, "Please let me go to the field, and glean heads of grain after him in whose sight I may find favor." And she said to her, "Go, my daughter." Then she left, and went and gleaned in the field after the reapers. And she happened to come to the part of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech. NKJV

It pays to obey God! Whenever we trust Him, and we obey His Word, He will grant us favor both with Him and with other people. We can find an example of God's favor in the story of Ruth. Ruth was allowed to go into Elimelech's field and glean (pick up what was left) behind the reapers of his field. She went into the field with the hope of finding favor in someone's heart so that she would have enough to eat during the famine.

When I was thinking about Ruth's story, I was reminded about the favor of God on my own life. There have been many times in Debbie's and my lives when there simply weren't enough resources to take care of our needs. Over the years, we've learned that when this type of trial arises, we need to turn to God and seek Him for the favor to supply the need, so that we don't have to go into debt for it. Time and again, God has shown us that His presence and favor are on us by granting our needs and our desires.

The Holy Spirit drew my attention and prompted me to write on the subject of Ruth walking in the favor of God; He wants us to notice that she was allowed to go into a field only after the reapers had already passed over it. However, when I think about "leftovers," it doesn't seem to me that there would be enough to sustain Ruth during this difficult period. 

Nonetheless, just as God's favor took care of Ruth, His favor has operated in our lives and supplied our needs when it was naturally impossible for us to do so. God has always been there in times of difficulty, trouble, and shortage to provide what our limited resources couldn't supply. Like Ruth, only picking up handfuls of grain, God has given us handfuls of favor to make up for any shortfall. 

Perhaps you can relate to this question. Have you ever gotten to the end of a fiscal year and noticed that more went out than came in? I know; it doesn't make sense, but that is the realm where God resides and does His best for us. We've heard many Christians tell us over the years that "somehow" they seem to make it from year to year; nevertheless they can't explain how they did it when they look at their checkbook or their financial records. You and I may not always be able to see God in every situation. Even so, that doesn't mean that He isn't with us. He shows us that He has been with us during the hard times by allowing His favor to supply those things that we could never have taken care of.  

Let me leave you today with a testimony that will build your faith. Debbie has had the same washer and dryer for seven years. Recently, our son moved out and needed appliances. We tried to get used ones, but to no avail. As a result, I told Debbie that I would buy her a new washer and dryer for her birthday, and we could give our old ones to our son. Nevertheless, shortly after telling her what I would do, we were hit with unforeseen problems that drained our finances so that we couldn't purchase the appliances we needed. I told Debbie that we would have to wait until we got back on our financial feet before we could move forward with the purchase.  

However, one day we were at work and received a call. The person on the other end of the phone said, "I have your new washer and dryer and need directions to deliver them." When she asked me about it, I said, "Don't look at me." Someone had been told by the Lord to give her a new washer and dryer, and they obeyed His instruction...and they were exactly the ones Debbie had wanted. Only God knew our situation, and therefore, it was God who supplied our need through "a handful of favor." What are you in need of today that requires the favor of God? Seek Him first, and then wait on Him to supply all of your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Reaping the Benefits of God's Favor, 
Pastor Asa Dockery 

No comments:

Post a Comment