WHCNorth Mobile App

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Day I Was Thrown Into the Furnace



Daniel 3: 16 - 18, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego answered and said to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. If that is the case, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He ill deliver us from your hand, O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up." NKJV

Let me introduce myself; my name is Hananiah. However, you may already know me as Shadrach. The other day, while I was serving the king in my province in Babylon, I was summoned to the king's palace. Every official and every leader of the Babylonian empire was, likewise, made to appear before the king to hear a new declaration about an image that the King had built.

As we stood around waiting for the appearance of King Nebuchadnezzar, I wondered what the purpose of this vast conclave of leaders was. Almost immediately, I saw the king and his herald enter the court yard. Everyone was gathered with considerable anticipation awaiting the news that brought them there that day. Then, the king made a decree that as the music was played, everyone, including us leaders, had to bow down before the great image and pay homage to it. You can probably imagine the thoughts and feelings that began to rush through my mind and heart as I heard this blasphemous announcement.

The herald declared to the enormous crowd that if anyone should decide not to give honor to the golden image when the music sounded, they would be taken immediately and thrown into the furnace. At that moment, I made a life-changing decision, "I will not bow to that image." You see; I am a Jew, and our God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob has commanded us to place no other god before Him. Consequently, I must obey my God's command.

Later, that very same day, the music began to play throughout Babylon. Nevertheless, I didn't bow down and worship this false god. Even though I was seen by some Chaldeans, no one said anything to me about my defiance of the king's decree. Perhaps I would be excused since I had already found favor with the king when he made me a leader in his empire?

When I heard the music sound throughout the region, I didn't think twice about my decision not to worship a dead idol. However, I knew that such a controversial determination could very well cost me my life; nonetheless, I didn't flinch. A few days later, as I was busy fulfilling my duties, I was, once again called into the presence of the king. When I arrived at the palace, I saw the same men from Chaldea, who knew that I didn't bow down in worship. As I was being brought before the king, I noticed the men pointing at me as they spoke to the king.

As I stood before him, the king rose up and was filled with rage. He asked me if I was going to worship the image or choose to be thrown into the furnace. I have to admit that some feelings of doubt filled my heart. "Would my God deliver me from this fiery furnace, or would I perish in the flames for standing up for what I believe?" I didn't see God's presence; it seemed as if I was standing alone in my decision, but somehow I knew that He was right there with me because a calm assurance filled my heart. I replied to the king. "I won't bow to this image that you have commanded us to worship."

I went on to tell the mighty king that my God would deliver me from the fiery furnace; and nevertheless, even if He didn't, He would deliver me from the king's hand. In response to my answer to him, the king became enraged against me. He commanded the furnace to be heated seven times greater than before. The king's attendants took me and bound my hands and feet. As the doors to the furnace flung open, the men who were going to throw me into the flames were immediately incinerated. As I fell into the flames, I was amazed to see that my God was standing in the flames with me. God had allowed me to make the decision to trust Him. However, He didn't appear until I was thrown completely into the furnace.

Today, you may be facing a situation that is similar to the one I had to confront. Consequently, you may be wondering whether God will deliver you out of it or walk with you through it. I can tell you first-hand that our God is faithful. He is in complete control of your life. Nevertheless, He wants you to trust Him with the outcome. When you give your life and care into His hands and take the first step into the "furnace," you will begin to sense His presence as He fills the place you are in today.

I found it very perplexing that even though the flames didn't burn my flesh or clothes, they did burn off the bindings that had been placed on my hands and feet. When it was all over, Satan tried to tell me the flames didn't exist; however, I reminded him that they were real enough to consume the mighty men who threw me into the furnace and real enough to burn up the restraints that kept me bound. Consequently, the flames that were meant to destroy me were used by my God to destroy those things that had me bound. I found myself walking around and praising God in the midst of this furnace because He had shown Himself faithful to me in my greatest hour of need.

Jesus teaches us in Matthew 16: 25 - 26, For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? NKJV

Trusting God in All Things,
Pastor Asa

No comments:

Post a Comment